Friday, October 2, 2020

Covid competition? Why not?

 I just read an article about how across Europe, where nightclubs have been shuttered since June, illegal raves have been taking place outside cities…and subsequently, the covid numbers are rising. My initial reaction? I confess: schadenfreude: See? We’re not the only ones screwing things up royally. We love to blame our gormless leaders, who’re caving to their respective right-wing fundy populations, but the rest of us haven’t been paragons either.

While I’m not in the “masks are decoration” camp, I’m not strict about wearing one either: Over the holidays I had a few people in my house, and none of us masked. Likewise, I visited one other home, and didn’t mask, as didn’t the residents. These weren’t parties or gatherings – they were simply meetings lasting around 15 minutes, but still: Strictly speaking, I, at least, should’ve masked, as I do whenever I enter a retail establishment (I don’t go anywhere else during lockdown).

We have to face it: The only countries that are keeping their numbers down are the Asian countries, where the citizens mask consistently, nearly without exception. Then I recalled a podcast about DMV workers getting drivers to sign up for organ donor cards. The DMV in Michigan organized a competition among DMV teams, rewarding teams with the highest monthly numbers of donor cards signed with prizes.

Maybe that’s what’s needed regarding covid: Make it a competition! Award prizes to all residents of locales with the lowest numbers in the state, province, or country, whichever makes sense. Post the rankings online in real time. Pump everyone up, get everyone into the spirit of the thing. Dorky idea? Does anyone have a better one? The stick hasn’t worked. Why not try the carrot?

No comments:

Post a Comment